Cusco Maras Moray hike to Machupicchu 2D/1N
Hike from the incredible circular ruins of Moray connect to Machu Picchu, on this short hike you will see the very best of Inca ruins, and you’ll have a chance hike thought the incredible circular ruins of Moray, explore the beautiful Urubamba valley and have plenty of time to fully appreciate the amazing Machu Picchu.
Highlights: Maras Town, Archaeological Site of Moray, Maras salt terraces, amazing mountain scenery, quieter trails, local people, Sacred Valley/Urubamba, Machu Picchu
Day 1 – Moray & Maras Terraces of Salt Hike
We’ll pick you up from the Hotel at 8:00am and transfer direction to the Sacred Valley; we start across the fertile plain of Chinchero rich with grain, potatoes & beans. Start walking in the little town of Maras, which has nice colonial doors in its main street; we arrive at the circular Inca ruins of Moray where we enjoy a picnic lunch. In nearby Moray you find “the Inca laboratory”
The circles were used for the development of different strains of crops. Between the highest and lowest terraces there is a difference of up to 15 degrees. Although the difference between neighboring terraces is very small, it is great enough to create distinct microclimates that change growing conditions and allow the propagation of a huge variety of plants each with slightly different growth requirements. Time is permitted to fully explore these fascinating ruins.
After this very atmospheric place Mule trails then takes us to the ancient town of Maras with its out-standing Spanish door arches and vast church. Maras is famous for its spies – due to its strategic location above the Sacred Valley.
We then drop down into the Sacred Valley of the Incas to the salt pans of Salineras. Here more than 5000 terraces are still in production and many families of Maras bring their salt to the market of Urubamba on mules. Transfer to Ollantaytambo and catch the train to Aguas Calientes. Overnight at Aguas Calientes Hotel
→ Meals Included: Box-lunch
Day 2: Visit Machu Picchu full day – Back to Cusco
Breakfast at the hotel; full day Excursion to Machu Picchu, early transfer to the Bus Stop for the short ride (25 minutes) up to the citadel of Machu Picchu.
Upon arrival, you will participate in a guided tour of the Citadel, visiting the Main Plaza, the Circular Tower, the Sacred Sun Dial (the most important preserved Intihuatana), the Royal Quarters, the Temple of the Three Windows, houses, warehouses, a large central square; and all connected by narrow roads and steps that are surrounded by terraces cut into the mountain side. After the tour you’ll have time to stroll around the Archaeological Site at your leisure.
Opportunity to walk (approx 1 hour) up to the Sun Gate (Inti Punku) or climb to the top of Wayna Picchu, with a magnificent view of the whole Sanctuary, return in the afternoon by train to Cusco and transfer to your hotel.
- English Speaking Guide till Machupicchu
- Private Transport from Cusco to Maras where we start hiking
- Train Expedition Round Trip ( Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes – Ollantaytambo)
- Transportation back from ollantaytambo to cusco
- 01 Hotel in Aguas Calientes
- Entrance to Machupicchu
- Professional guide who speaks English, Spanish and Quechua
- 01 Lunch 01 Dinner 01 Breakfast
- Snacks for walking
- First aid equipment
- Breakfast and dinner
- Entrance fees in Moray and Salineras (please, let us know if you already have boleto turistico)
WHAT TO BRING ON THE TREK:
- 1 small nylon reinforced backpack to carry the things you need for the trek (camera, drinks, etc.)
- Small flashlight and extra batteries
- 1 water bottle (1 liter) or a small plastic throw away bottle
- Hiking boots
- 1 jacket (of nylon with hood and water and wind resistant)
- 1 Fleece Jacket
- short sleeved shirt (preferably “dryfit” that don’t retain water)
- a pair of shorts such as bermudas.
- socks of wool or of fiber (coolmax) for the trek (avoid cotton as these can retain water)
- sun hat and sunglasses
- Personal medications
- Sunscreen for your skin and lips
- Insect repellent
- Moisturizer lotion to avoid the drying out of the skin
- Energy foods according to your needs: chocolates, granola bars, dried fruits, etc. (they can be purchased in Cusco)
- Professional walking sticks can be rented in the office